Knocksense: A local content and recommendations platform

Mumbai Coastal Road Project: BMC completes 1-km long tunnel boring work with the help of 'Mavala'

India's largest Tunnel Boaring Machine (TBM), 'Mavala' has been used to achieve this feat.

Moving closer towards the completion of Mumbai's coastal road project, BMC has successfully drilled over a kilometre-long tunnel using 'Mavala', India's largest Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM). Imported from China, this machine has a 12.9 meter-wide diameter which has hastened the progress of the entire tunnelling work, significantly.

As per reports, BMC began the tunnelling scheme of the coast road project in January 2021, with the aim to carve out 2.07km twin tunnels, each about 70 meter-wide, in 18 months. The work was, however, delayed due to the advent of the 'second wave' of the pandemic, and the consequent city-wide restrictions in March 2021.


Coastal Road Project stands at 40% completion

Despite losing three months of time on its work schedule due to pandemic limitations, the BMC has achieved a landmark achievement towards the development of the Mumbai Coastal Raod Project (MCRP). As per the project design, the slated coastal route will connect Nariman Point to the Bandra Worli Sea Link via two underground tunnels, stretching from Girguam Chowpatty to Malabar Hill in the town.

As of Saturday, the BMC has completed about 1-km tunnelling work of the twin tunnels pipelined on this 10.58-km route. Work has progressed from the south-bound arm of both the tunnels, read reports, and the remaining distance of over a kilometre will be achieved by January 2022. Presently, about 40% of the work on the coastal work has seen the light of the day.

MCRP delayed by 6 months due to COVID-19

If the BMC continues to work according to its initial timeline, the project will cover about 55% of development by the end of this year. Another 30%, cumulating to a total of 85% have been scheduled for completion in the next year, added reports.

However, the Chief Engineer of the parcel has told that the project is lagging behind by 6-months due to the unprecedented onset of COVID pandemic about 18 months ago. The deadline of the project is now marked in December 2023.

Kanpur Traffic Police announces road diversions at Mall Road in line with metro development work

Traffic will be regulated on the diverted route from 4 PM on Saturday to 6 AM on Monday.

The Kanpur Traffic Police Department has announced its road diversion plan to ensure glitch-free commute in the city during the course of metro development work. Reportedly, the Kanpur Metro Rail Corporation has decided to set up a cross-arm intersection at the Motijheel Station of the Priority Corridor. This ongoing construction work will stretch till 6 AM on September 27 and all vehicles passing through this site will be redirected.

Keep reading... Show less

UP to soon get a new 200-acre-wide data centre park

The new data centre will come up in Noida's Sector-28

In a bid to cultivate Uttar Pradesh's commercial landscape, the state administration has planned to develop data centre park in Noida. This structure will reportedly spread over 200 acres of land at Sector 28 of the Yamuna Expressway Industrial Development Authority and attract investments from IT industry giants in India and abroad. The plan is expected to roll out by the end of August.

Keep reading... Show less

Most Read

Headlines

Lucknow

Kanpur

Trending

Jaipur

Indore

Goa

Mumbai