The Maharashtra government has developed a 5 tier strategy to authorise public travel in Mumbai locals, monorails & metro.
The state of Maharashtra has decided to introduce QR-based travel cards for travel in Mumbai locals, amid COVID restrictions. The administration has worked with the Indian Railways to develop a 5-tier strategy to systematise public travel and ensure compliance with COVID protocols.
The step has been initiated to effectively keep a check on the generation of fake tickets and IDs, allowing only legitimate travellers in local trains. Reportedly, universal travel permission will facilitate commute in local trains, monorails and even metro.
Here are the steps to apply for the level-based universal travel pass:
- Visit the Disaster Management and Relief Fund Rehabilitation department of Maharashtra website
- Click on the Universal Travel pass tab
- Click on Register your establishment
- Here, the establishment will have to provide details such as the address, registration number, co-ordinator contact number, the number of staff who need the pass and more
- The application will be sent for a manual review. After approval, the coordinator will be authorised to log in. Here, they have to enter individual details of the staff
- Personal information such as name, ID, mobile number, gender, age, department and professional designation must be entered
- The staff member will get an SMS alert, once the information is up
- The staff member can log in using their mobile phones now and upload their photograph
- The QR-code universal travel pass can be simply downloaded
This needs to be produced before the gatekeeping authorities at transport nodes such as metro stations, train and monorails stations - for authentication before travel.
The travel pass will hold the permission of travel at different levels across the MMR. The state has categorised the territory based on the 5-tier strategy, allowing 5-level travel to the public.
Those with Degree 5 cards (i.e., level 5 restrictions which effectively means no restriction) will be allowed to travel anywhere. Degree 4 card possessors can travel in areas under levels 4, 3, 2 or 1 of the unlock restrictions. Similarly, a person with Degree 3 pass will only be allowed to travel if restrictions are of levels 1,2 or 3- so on and so forth. Mumbai is currently under level 3 restriction so the degree cards shall be issued accordingly.