The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation has issued new COVID-19 guidelines ahead of the expected rise of the 'third wave'. As per the SOPs announced by the municipal agency, all buildings in Mumbai which report 5 or more infections will be sealed shut. Police officers will be stationed at the entrance of such buildings, to restrict and monitor residents' movement, added reports.
Mumbai raises guard against COVID as cases spike
In an order issued by the BMC Civic Commissioner IS Chahal on Monday, designated officials have been directed to deploy cops outside sealed buildings in Mumbai to limit the spread of the coronavirus. These officers will be tasked to prevent people, even those who visit to provide various services, from entering the contaminated buildings or societies and curb the avenues of COVID transmission.
While the BMC Commissioner has pointed out that the order will cause inconvenience to the people living at these buildings, he has sought their cooperation to limit the rise of the pandemic. As per this protocol, around 27 buildings are sealed in Mumbai, as of Monday.
The decision to seal active containment zones in buildings was taken at a virtual meeting of the BMC Commissioner with Mumbai ward officers, hospital deans, officials of the civic public health department as well as the Mumbai's Police Deputy Community of Operations. COVID cases in Mumbai have spiked slightly, pressing the need to be more vigilant and enforcing preventive measures.
Citizens are requested to get tested at earliest if they come in contact with any Covid-19 positive patient or if any symptoms are found.
Free RTPCR and Antigen testing is available at over 250 Centres across Mumbai. pic.twitter.com/JA9JDhVKs2
— माझी Mumbai, आपली BMC (@mybmc) August 27, 2021
BMC has further directed authorities at all 24 administrative wards in Mumbai to appoint clean up marshals, to penalise those who are not following COVID-19 protocols, such as wearing masks in public and maintaining social distancing. Orders to prepare jumbo treatment centres in the metropolis has also been issued in line with the progressing fear of the Delta variant spread and the third wave rise.
The municipal agency has also encouraged people to get themselves tested at the earliest, if they suspect the development of any COVID symptom. An early diagnosis is essential to snub the virus before it turns fatal. This could also prevent the spread of the infection to other hosts.
Another way to stop the virus spread is active vaccination, the BMC highlighted. As of now, 74% of Mumbai's eligible population has been inoculated against COVID-19. Directives to cover the remaining 26% have also been assigned to civic officials.