Get expert advice on thyroid treatment, from doctors at Medanta in Lucknow

Get expert advice on thyroid treatment, from doctors at Medanta in Lucknow

Struggling with thyroid? Doctors at Medanta are here to help!

Any sort of dysfunction in the function of the thyroid gland, a butterfly shaped gland which sits low on the front neck can cause varied thyroid problems. The gland which lies below the thyroid cartilage (Adam's apple), along the windpipe (trachea) produces hormones that regulate body temperature, heart rate and metabolism.

Abnormalities in the thyroid could result in hypothyroidism, goiter, thyroiditis, hyperthyroidism, thyroid nodule, thyroid storm, Graves disease or even thyroid cancer. Thyroid disorders are some of the most common endocrine disorders affecting nearly 42 million Indians till date.

This disease, and many others are treatable with the best care and doctors at Medanta Hospital in Lucknow.

Thyroid cancer – Causes and treatment

The thyroid gland uses iodine from food to produce hormones. Thyroid cancer occurs when abnormal cells in the thyroid gland grow uncontrollably and spread to other parts of the body.

Noted oncologist Dr. Vivekanand Singh, Director, Head & Neck Onco Surgery, Cancer Institute, Medanta Hospital, Lucknow has observed that most types of thyroid cancers are highly curable. Treatments include surgery, chemotherapy, radiation, hormone therapy and radioiodine therapy.

"In solitary thyroid nodules, there is a 1 in 1000 incidence of malignancy, with the inherent challenge of difficult initial diagnosis" he adds.

What are the types of thyroid cancer?

Dr. Singh further states "Thyroid cancer is an uncommon form of cancer that further includes several different subtypes, including Papillary, Follicular, Medullary, and Anaplastic thyroid cancer"

  • Papillary thyroid cancer is the most common type which can occur at any age and makes up about 70% to 80% of all thyroid cancers. Younger age, small tumor size, female gender and local invasion with no metastasis are good prognostic factors in the case of this type of cancer.

  • Follicular thyroid cancer is the second most common type of thyroid cancer which occurs among patients. This accounts for 10% of all thyroid cancer and is usually diagnosed after a hemithyroidectomy procedure which is done to remove thyroid nodules.

  • Medullary thyroid cancer constitutes of 25% of hereditary cases while the remaining 75% are sporadic. Prophylactic thyroidectomy is advocated in all patients with mutation positive in the child age group.

  • Anaplastic thyroid cancer is found in less than 2% of patients and carries a poor prognosis. Treatment for this particular type includes hemithyroidectomy surgery which is completed with radioiodine therapy, followed by TSH suppression.

Thyroid health is extremely important for one's well-being

Additionally, Dr. Vivekanand Singh concludes, "The hormones produced by the thyroid gland influence every cell, tissue and organ in the body and these play vital roles in growth, neuronal development, reproduction and regulation of energy and metabolism. Therefore, thyroid health is extremely important for one's well-being."

To get all the latest content, download our mobile application. Available for both iOS & Android devices. 

Related Stories

No stories found.
Knocksense
www.knocksense.com