A haven for sweet-lovers, this fair will have stalls of jaggery, chocolates, sweets, candies and kheer up for grabs!
Lucknow's maiden jaggery festival, the Gur Mahotsav has been rescheduled and will now be held from March 6 to 7, 2021. Along with the dates, the venue for the event has also been changed and instead of Awadh Shilp Gram at Shaheed Path, the fair will now be held at Indira Gandhi Pratishthan in Gomti Nagar. To be held as part of Ravidas Jayanti celebrations, this first of its kind exhibition will showcase a wide variety of jaggery and products made from it.
Attention sweet lovers! Lucknow's Gur Mahotsav is round the corner!
Lucknow's Gur Mahotsav will have specially crafted stalls of jaggery, chocolates, sweets, candies and kheer up for grabs! The Indian Council of Agricultural Research and the Sugarcane Research Institute have jointly prepared chocolate and other products from jaggery in different flavours. These products will be on display and sale here, luring sweet-lovers to extend their support and encouragement to the farmers while promoting agro-activities in several parts of the state.
Did you know?
- Muzzafarnagar in Uttar Pradesh is known to be the biggest producer of gur or jaggery in the state. This agro-based district has been traditionally making gur for the last 50 years. Jaggery made here is exported to other states like Gujarat, Rajasthan and Haryana.
- Gur is also listed as Muzzafarnagar and Ayodhya's indigenous product under the Uttar Pradesh ODOP scheme.
- This sweetener is sometimes referred to as "non-centrifugal sugar," because it is not spun during processing to remove the nutritious molasses. It is also called the healthy replacement for sugar, by many.
- Experts have also highlighted that 'gur' alone can be used to treat malnutrition by fortifying jaggery with vitamins as it is rich in iron, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin A and B in sufficient amounts.
- Jaggery has multiple medicinal properties and is an excellent source of immediate energy.
With so many reasons to like Gur, we are sure you are as excited as us to catch the first glimpse of this Gur Mahotsav in Lucknow. So make sure you don't miss this unique celebration and festive flair, that will be happening soon in the city. Gather your friends and family and get ready to taste the amazing varieties of the indigenous gur here!