A Memorandum of Understanding has been signed between IMC and Rau Nagar Parishad for the mentorship program
After setting a goal for all by bagging the tag of 'Cleanliest City in India' for the fifth consecutive year, Indore Municipal Corporation is now working towards its vision of Swacch Survekshan 2022! Reportedly, in line with this vision, the civic body of Indore will now help in improving the sanitation services in Rau Nagar Parishad by implementing its own waste management model there. According to officials, a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) has been signed between IMC and Rau Nagar Parishad for this mentorship program.
Rau generates about 13 metric tonnes of solid waste every day!
In an attempt to further its Swachh Mission beyond its city limits, Indore is now venturing out to help civic bodies of other cities of Madhya Pradesh with their sanitation services. As per the commissioner of IMC, the civic body has taken the task of providing all along with hand-holding support to at least one local body of the state. Being the satellite town of Indore, Rau City has been chosen for the first-ever mentoring program to implement its waste management system there. With a population of around 36,000 residents, Rau city comes under the Rau City Counsel.
Waste management in Rau
Significantly, as per the reports, while Rau already has a wet waste processing plant it is now planning to expand it further. Moreover, the work for scaling up this facility is currently underway. Meanwhile, a total of around 13 metric tonnes of solid waste is collected every day from the 15 wards of Rau, spanning across 7500 residential and 715 commercial establishments. According to an official, while wet waste accounts for about 60% of the total solid waste collected every day, the rest 40% includes dry waste, generated by the city in a day.
Notably, under the ambit of UN-Habitat program of the United Nations, Indore was selected as a supporter city to help one of the cities of Ethiopia implement a solid-waste management system. According to the officials of IMC, the work on this front is about to begin soon.